Recently I stumbled upon the whole concept of mix-matching the colors of your outfits based on the “color wheel”. I’m guessing it’s something that artists use when they pick colors for their artwork, and some people figured out, that the same rules of aesthetic harmony can be applied to mix and matching clothes.
So here is how the wheel looks like:
In theory, the best combinations are:
- Colors next to each other - it will create a calm and harmonious effect, but can look a bit unadventurous.
- Colors that form a 90 degree angle – to find them pick your main color, and skip 2 “arms of the wheel” to left or right to find the matching one.
- Colors that are opposite each other – this one creates bold and adventurous look, so make sure the match is what you really desire. Some mixes have a cultural “stigma” – in examples red and green are Christmas colors.
- 3 colors that form a “T” – pick two arms of the wheel that are opposite each other, and find the arm in the middle of the spectrum . In example yellow-green, red-violet and true blue. I think this is perfect way of finding what color of jewelery or accessories can be added to an outfit with two colors.
- Colors that form a “X” shape – I’m not really a fan of throwing so many colors into the mix to be honest.
Black, gray, brown and white are considered neutral colors that go well with just about any other color.
Ok, thats for the wheel part… But I’ve been thinking, that there has to be more to this! Because we all have different “color types”, and even best color matches won’t be flattering to everyone. And here we have to refer to another theory, which is based on recommending colors depending on persons skin, hair and eye color. The best resource I know to find your perfect colors is HERE *click click*
According to it, my color-type is clear-winter:
Of course, I don’t have almost any of those colors in my closet T_T Unfortunately, I get easily fascinated with black or beige stuff… But, if I ever collect the clothes in those colors, my possible matches would look something like this:
So what do you think? Are you into wearing colorful clothes and color mixes? Or do you prefer to wear neutral-colored pieces? Also, tell me what is your color type!